This blog as moved to:

Speeding Up Cassini In Vista And Windows 7

I was doing some ASP.NET MVC work this evening on my new supa-fast Windows 7 machine using the built-in Visual Studio Cassini webserver. For some odd reason, it was taking a few seconds for my tiny pages to resolve / render. I was using Chrome, so I decided to try Firefox. Firefox was just as slow. I then tried using IE and it performed with the speediness I was used to on my old XP install. I did some digging, and I came across the solution to the problem in two places:

It turns this is an issue with ipv6 and resolving localhost on Vista and Windows 7. The fix is very easy – you simply need to uncomment the localhost entry in your  C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file by changing this:

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#       localhost


# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.       localhost

You may need to run your text editor as administrator in order to save the changes.