This blog as moved to: http://nerditorium.danielauger.com/

Raymond Computer, St Paul, MN

I've driven by the place probably 1000 times in my life because I've been in various bands that have rented rehearsal spaces near his shop. Finally a few months ago I noticed the Commodore logo in the window. Today I decided to peek my head in there since I'm currently on the prowl for a few things.

OH MY GOD! This place is a Commodork's dream come true. Here's a photoshoot of the place thanks to Lemoner Brian Day:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24965817@N02/sets/72157604224011802/

Those photos only do the shop partial justice because they can't really capture the full glory and size of the space. I think there are 3 rooms total. The entry way is roughly 12x12ft, and then there is another room roughly the same size. Then there is a much larger space in the back (20x 20ft?) which appears to be the workshop area. That is also where the point of sale terminal is (a c64 and dot matrix printer). Every square inch of this place is covered in goodies.

As the photos show, there is way too much stuff to take in, but I did notice ample amounts of commodores (vics, 64s, 128s, and Amigas), plus all of the displays, printers, and other peripherals you could care to shake a stick at. Also, there was a ton of software (opened and unopened), plus a good shelf of books, and a magazine rack filled with gems.

I was in a little bit of a hurry, but I was able to spend some time talking with the owner. He seems like a really interesting fellow who obviously has a vast knowledge of Commodores. He has most of the common stuff you'd find on Ebay, oldsoftware.com, and cmdrkey. His pricing seems to be pretty fair as well. I doubt he can keep his website in check with his inventory so if you are ever looking for something and it's not on his site, fire him off an email. He ships internationally and does repairs.

Let me tell you, going into that place was much more fun than scrounging ebay. I left there with a 1702 and a geek buzz.

http://www.raycomp.com/
raycomp@visi.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment